Ambulance District
County Clerk - Elections
Circuit Clerk
County Development
Emergency Management
Fire District
Health Department
Highway Department
Prosecuting Attorney
Public Administrator


Calendar of Events
Crime Tips
Election Returns

Flood Plain Permit
Marriage Licenses

Opportunities - Business
Opportunities - Career
Property Assessments

Site Map

Frequently Asked Questions About Civil Matter

(Click on a category to jump to specific questions or scroll down to view all)

Child Support General Information
Criminal Jury Service
Divorce Proceedings Law Day Information
Important Announcements Miscellaneous Matters

Important Phone Numbers

Additional Information

General Information

Where do I pay my costs and restitutions?

Criminal Costs, Restitution (except bad checks), Civil Costs, Juvenile Costs, Juvenile Restitution should be paid to:

      Scott County Circuit Clerk
      PO Box 587
      Benton, MO 63736

To ensure proper credit, be sure to include your case number. Payments may also be made online 24 hours a day, seven days a week at www.courtmoney.com

Bad Check Restitution is payable to the Scott County Prosecuting Attorney.  For bad check restitution inquiries, call (573)545-3562.

How do I know what I owe in court costs?

You should receive a copy in the mail from the Scott County Circuit Clerk.  If you do not receive a copy, contact our office at (573)545-3596.

When are my costs due? (for cases files in the Scott County Circuit Clerk's Office)

Court costs for Criminal Felony cases, with supervision probation and juvenile case costs are due in thirty (30) days unless further ordered by the court.

Court costs for all other criminal matters and Civil cases are due in thirty (30) days unless further ordered by the court.

What happens if I do not pay my court cost on time?

If costs are not paid in full within 30 days, a $25 Time Payment Fee is assessed. Any delinquent balance after the thirty (30) days (or period ordered by the court) will be submitted to IRS for tax offset & LDC private collection agency (except juvenile costs). You may be required to appear in court to show cause why your court costs have not been paid. Failure to appear will result in the issue of an arrest warrant. Failure to pay may constitute a violation of your probation.

How can I find out if there has been a judgment entered against someone in Scott County?

Judgments entered after June 15, 2001 can be accessed online at www.courts.mo.gov/case.net. Case.net is for information only and is not an official site.  For an official record, contact a title company.  For judgments entered prior to June 15, 2001, records are available at a public viewing workstation in the Scott County Circuit Clerks Office.  We do apologize for the inconvenience but Clerks are not permitted to do record searches.

How can I find out if I have a court date?

You should contact your attorney or go to Case.net online at www.courts.mo.gov/case.net.

(back to FAQs)

Criminal Questions

How do I know what I owe in criminal restitution?

You should receive a copy in the mail from the Scott County Circuit Clerk.  If you do not receive a copy, contact our office at (573)545-3596.

Where can I go to obtain a criminal background check on an individual?

Contact the Missouri State Highway Patrol (573)526-6153

How can I find out if I have a court date?

You should contact your attorney or go to Case.net online at www.courts.mo.gov/case.net.

(back to FAQs)

Divorce Proceedings

Can I file for a divorce with out an attorney?


Pursuant to Supreme Court Rule 88.90, every party no represented by counsel who participates in a proceeding for dissolution of marriage, legal seperation, parentage or the modification of a judgement in any such proceeding shall use the pleading forms found at www.selfrepresent.mo.gov, and shall complete the litigant awareness program designed by the Supreme Court also found at the above listed website.  The litigant shall complete this program and shall certify to the Court, in writing, that he/she has completed this program. The judge of division in which any such action is pending may waive this requirement.

If you are unsure of the requirement to proceed, we strongly urge you to seek the advice of an attorney.  You may consider contacting the Missouri Bar Association for an attorney referral at (573)636-3635 or visit their web site at www.mobar.org.

What is the fee and process for filing a Dissolution of Marriage?

The fee for filing a Dissolution of Marriage is $97.00 plus applicable Sheriff's fees. 

The handbook, In Your Child's Best Interest, provides a brief summary of definitions and explanations of terms.  Although the handbook list "...the Circuit Clerk's Office in your local courthouse..." as a resource for assistance, we are prohibited by law from assisting in certain areas previously described.

What do these terms mean?

Answer - A written response to a petition

Dissolution (Divorce) - The process by which a marriage is ended

Entry of Appearance - A notice files with a court stating that an individual or his/her attorney will appear at a court proceeding

Judgment of Dissolution - A court order containing the terms under which a marriage is ended

Personal Service - Delivery of a summons by a sheriff or private process server to the person against whom a petition or motion has been filed

Petition - A written request to a court for action on a certain matter

Petitioner - The person who files a petition with the court

Pro Se - A person who represents him/herself in a court proceeding without the help of a lawyer

Respondent - The person who files an answer to a petition

Summons - Notifies the person against who a petition or motion has been filed of the date to appear in court to file an answer


How can I find out if I have a court date?

You should contact your attorney or go to Case.net online at www.courts.mo.gov/case.net.

I am not a registered voter yet I received a jury summons, how did this happen?

Both voter registration and driver license applicants are include in the jury master list.

How do I obtain a copy of my divorce decree and what is the cost?

Copies of a divorce decree any be obtained by submitting a request to the Circuit Clerk (Request for Records Search - Dissolution of Marriage)

Please complete the following in its entirety:

Name of the parties at the time of the divorce
Approximate month and year of divorce
Self-addressed stamped envelope
$1 check or Money Order per 15 pages ( .25 for each additional page)

Send your request to:
Pam Glastetter
Scott County Circuit Clerk

P.O. Box 587
Benton, MO 63736

Copies will be mailed approximately 3 business days after the receipt of the request.

I am not receiving my court ordered visitation.  What can I do?

You may file a Motion for Family Access

  • Submit the following:
    Prepared Motion for Family Access - can be submitted in person or by mail to the Scott County Circuit Clerk,
    P.O. Box 227,
    Benton, MO 63736.  (Signature must be notarized.)
  • $97.00 filing fee (Check or money order payable to the Scott County Clerk.
  • Service fee (Contact the appropriate county's sheriff for the amount due)
       (Scott County Sheriff's service fee - $45)

(back to FAQs)

Child Support Questions

Where do I send my child support payment?

Please mail child support payments to:

Family Support Center
P.O. Box 109004
Jefferson City, MO 65110-9004

For proper credit of account, remember to include your 8-digit case-ID number with each payment.

How can I obtain my 8-digit case-ID number for my child support?

Please contact our office at (573)545-3596 or e-mail your request.  Please include the following:

  • Custodial parent's name
  • Non-custodial parent's name
  • Your Social Security Number
  • Your contact information

Who do I call if my child support payment is late?

For payment inquires, call the Family Support Center at (800)225-0530 or check online at www.dss.mo.gov/cse. Please have your 8-digit case number ready.

How can I collect delinquent child support?

If you are currently a client of the Division of Child Support Enforcement (DCDE) you may call (573)290-5720 to speak with your caseworker.  If you do not have an active case with DCSE and the non-custodial parent (NCP) is delinquent one full month by 30 days or more, you may request the Court to send a Notice of Income Withholding to the NCP's employer.  This request will be of no charge to you, however, you must complete the Income Withholding Application in its entirety and submit it to the Court in person or by mail at:

Scott County Circuit Clerk
Attn:  Child Support Division
P.O. Box 587
Benton, MO 63736

I have filed an Income Withholdings Application.  How long should I expect to wait until I receive my first check?

Pursuant to State Statutes, an Income Withholding Notice shall go into effect on the named employee/payee two weeks after mailing and shall continue until further order of the Court.  In addition, amounts withheld by the employer shall be transmitted within seven (7) business days of the date that such amounts were payable to the employee.  Upon receiving payment at the Family Support Payment Center, you should expect a one-day processing delay before your check is mailed to you.

I owe child support and want the support to be withheld from my check.  How can I do this?

You may request your employer to withhold court ordered child support from your wages by completing a Voluntary Income Assignment Form.  A copy of this form must be submitted to the Circuit Clerk's Office by mail at P.O. Box 277, Benton, MO 63736 or by fax at (573)545-3597, or can be submitted in person in our office.

Can I recieve my child support through the mail?

In the coming months, everyone who receives a support check from the Family Support Payment Center will receive a SecuritE Card in the mail.  The SecuritE Card provides an easier and safer way to receive and manage your support payments.  It is a debit MasterCard®, but is not a credit card.  The SecuritE Card eliminates the possibility of lost or stolen checks, costly check cashing fees and postal service delays.  If you prefer to receive support payments by electronic deposit to your checking or savings account, please complete the DIRECT DEPOSIT APPLICATION and submit it to the Family Support Payment Center as instructed.  Paper checks will no longer be issued.  You may call 1-888-761-3663 if you have further questions.

How do I request termination of Child Support at age 21?

Request for Child Support Termination at Age 21

(back to FAQs)

Jury Service

I am not a registered voter yet I received a jury summons, how did this happen?

Both voter registration and drivers licence applicants are included in the jury master list.

How long do I have to serve on the jury?

Jury duty is for a period of 4 months. Jury terms begin on the first Monday of March, July, and November.

I have been selected for jury duty but I no longer live in Scott County.  What do I do?

Please put your new address on the form and return it to our office. We will update your address information in our system.

I recieved a questionnaire but have misplaced it.  Can I get another form to complete? 

Yes. You may download the Juror Qualification Form or contact our office at (573) 545-3596 for a duplicate. Please complete and return the replacement questionnaire upon receipt.

I am in bad health and do not feel I could serve on jury duty.  Can you take me off the list. 

Although we understand that not everyone is capable of serving on a jury, only the Circuit Judge is authorized to remove anyone from the list.  Please complete your questionnaire and return it ot our offce.  We will submit your responses to the Circuit Judge for his consideration.  You will be notifies if you are excused from jury duty.  In some instances, you may be asked to provide a written statement from your doctor.

I recieved a questionnaire but the individual to who it is address is deceased.  What do I do? 

We do apologize for this circumstance.  To assist with proper handling of the situation, please indicate on the questionnaire the individual's date of death and return it to our office and we will prompltly update our system.

(back to FAQs)

Miscellaneous Matters

Questions concerning Orders of Protection, Small Claims, Landlord Tenant, Traffic and Misdemeanors, call Associate Division, 545-3576

Questions concerning Probate, Wills, Conservator ships and Estates, call 545-3511
To check status of a filing or a judgment, Office of the State Courts Administrator
To check status of a child support payment call 1-800-225-0530
Forms available to the Public, Office of the State Courts Administrator

(back to FAQs)

Important Contact Information

Alliance One - PO Box 2449, Gig Harbor, WA 98335 (887)541-8420
Public Defender (573)243-3949
Probation & Parole (573)472-5353

Scott County Prosecuting Attorney (573)545-3562

Associate Circuit Court (573)545-3576

Probate Court (573)545-3511

Family Support Payment Center 1(800)225-0530 (You must have your 8 digit case number ready when making this call.)

Fine Collection Center  (877)866-3926

Lawyer Referral Service (573) 636-3635

Drug Court  (573)683-2146 ext. 253

Family Support Division (866)313-9960

Child Support Payment Center (800)859-7999 or (800)225-0530

MO Attorney General (573)290-5679

Juvenile Office (573)472-2554

Bureau of Vital Records (573)751-6400

National Passport Information (877) 487-2778

SEMO Legal Aid (573)683-3783

(back to FAQs)

Important Announcements and Events

Traveling to Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico, or Canada?

New requirements for travel between the United States and the Western Hemisphere!  Details.

Circuit Court Law Days - 2nd and 4th Thursday of each month

Jury Terms of Court:  1st Monday of March, July and November


(back to FAQs)

Law Day Information


(back to FAQs)

Additional Information

Sections 484.010 and 484.020 RSMo define the practice of law and prohibit anyone who is not a licensed attorney from practicing law. In addition, Section 476.290 RSMo specifically prohibits court clerks from practicing law. Clerks may not give any legal advise or instructions unless provided by law.

Scott County Mo
P.O. Box 188 :: 131 S. Winchester Street
Benton, Missouri 63736
Phone: 573-545-3549 Fax: 573-545-3540

Site created by Creative Design Group